click on photos to enlarge. comments are welcome!

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ethics

Since I have the experience of dealing with academic(s) in certain area(s), I wanted to examine the ethical behavior codes of my current school and my school that I will be attending.

Current School Code states that you must - " refrain from engaging in a romantic or sexual relationship with a student whom you teach, advise, coach, or supervise in any way;"

Grad School Code states that - "Faculty and staff are cautioned that consensual romantic relationships with student members of the University community, while not expressly prohibited, can prove problematic....A faculty or staff member involved in a consensual relationship with a student is expected to remove him/herself from academic or professional decisions concerning the student."

I like school #2 better, mostly because it a)recognizes that these relationships do occur unlike school #1 who envisions some sort of absurd, uncrossable bridge between that of the academic and of the student, and b) is definitely less vague about the expectations from the institution as to what should happen when these relationships do actually occur.

Neither state what would happen to the student or the faculty member if 1)a relationship occurs at school# and 2)the faculty does not remove him/herself from academic/prof decisions concerning the student. I feel like for at least tenured professors, nothing would happen, and the student would just be forced to be dropped from the class or his/her advisement.

No comments: