I really like how it's getting warmer, and yet I really hate the fact that it's spring and thus it's going to rain continuously until late-April. By then, it won't matter anyway, because I will be crouched in the library doing work so I actually graduate and go to law school and not fail out my last semester in this dump of a place...speaking of which, midterm at 5pm, and I am blogging, word.
Some professors here are really heinous - my friend has a professor, one who went here as an undergrad, who decided to give an exam on the last day of classes, which also happens to coincide with our annual school-sponsored (drunken) festivities. Although the prof ended up changing the date of the exam, that is still a completely heinous thing to do - maybe she was one of the really sheltered people who didn't even enjoy that day and now wants to drag the rest of the student population down now that she has the ability to. Too bad though, because at least at this school, the students' evaluations of the professor and the course really matters when it comes to reviewing a professor for tenure.
One of my family's friends has a daughter who wants to apply to my school Early Decision this coming fall (her senior year in high school) and wants advice/info on being an undergrad here. I don't really know what I will tell her - maybe that I've found some friends here that I will probably be friends with for the rest of my life, maybe that it's driven me to be a really poor alcoholic, or that the classes aren't as bad as they seem at the beginning. I don't know what I've taken from this place, tangibly, other than alcoholism, debt, and a group of close friends.
Did I become a better writer? Questionable. Did I become a better writer for long papers due the next morning? Definitely.
Did I learn more about the world? Questionable. Did I learn more about the world at the time of examination? Definitely.
I had quite a workout with my liver though - it is true, I am a true Ivy League student. I spend just about my entire existence on this campus 1)in class/library, 2)at a bar/party/drunk, or 3)on the internet/AIM/facebook.
Based on that, maybe my advice to her will be - work hard, drink harder, and procrastinate often.
totally OT: one of my residents borrowed my lighter and never gave it back. damnit. It's not even my lighter, although one of my friends thought it was and gave it (back) to me. I am not one to not accept free lighters (I had lost one prior to the giving-back-of-lighter due to alcoholic follies that resulted in it actually being flushed down the toilet...true story) mostly because I can't bring lighters on the plane with me (what do they think I'm going to do with it? Call upon Allah and burn the pilot to death with my 2cm flame?) so I like to have a stockpile of them on campus and at home.
click on photos to enlarge.
comments are welcome!
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment