In the spirit of commencement speakers and collegiate graduations, the HMOTD is Matthew Fox, the 2007 Columbia Class Day Speaker. So. Hot. The Columbia students actually protested his being chosen as Class Day Speaker because he hasn't done anything worthwhile (last year's was John McCain). One girl was quoted in the Columbia Spectator (CU Campus Newspaper) as saying "I've never heard of him."You live in NYC! How can you NOT be immersed in pop culture? I don't even watch Lost but he's on the cover of a lot of magazines, and Lost is a pretty damn popular show and it would be pretty hard for you to ignore his existence.
Anyway, I can't believe he's 40. I also can't believe he played wide receiver for Columbia...who has one of the worst football teams in the Ivy League (so that's REALLY saying something).
His speech was pretty good, funny at times, inspiring. I'm glad he focused on the fact that you should follow your passions and make choices for yourself and not anyone else (some things obviously he did) rather than the bland usual remarks about the journey ahead of you.
Here's the video of his speech. It's not bad quality, but it's a video of the big screen TV showing Matthew Fox. Guests of graduates sit in that tent and watch the TV while graduates sit in front of them and see the actual speaker.
No comments:
Post a Comment