Kate Moss debuted her Top Shop line yesterday...and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
On one hand, I really enjoy her eclectic style, and from some shots I've seen of her new line - they seem to be pretty true to the Moss-style - very funky, very cute. In the interview, Kate says that she draws inspiration from her own closet, about pieces that she owns and what she would do to them to make them wearable, funky, etc...and about pieces that she wishes she could make. That seems reasonable enough to me. Many people look to her as a style icon, and there are plenty of websites and other resources out there that chronicle her fashion style and tell interested readers how to put certain Kate Moss outfits together (what pieces to buy, where to buy, how much each pieces are...along with cheaper versions of every outfit).
On the other hand, I really can't get over the fact that so many celebrities are coming out with fashion lines. You are not a fashion designer. You never will be...because you never had the training. You don't know how to sketch, how to put fabric swatches together, how to stitch, etc.
Celebrities hire people out for their fashion lines, and while they have the ultimate say in whether a design gets put into production -that's not the role of a designer...rather the head of a particular label (who usually was a designer in the past).
Example: how the fuck did someone like Sarah Jessica Parker get to start a fashion line? I understand that Kate Moss picks out her own clothes, and lord knows Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen do too...but we all know SJP has a fucking stylist. That stylist should be the one with the fashion line, not SJP. Moreover, SJP is an ACTRESS - do people NOT understand the fact that she merely PORTRAYED an incredibly stylish New York journalist? She is not really a fashion icon - the people who styled her as Carrie Bradshaw are.
click on photos to enlarge.
comments are welcome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment